Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A long long weekend

having to wait is a pain....
2/4/10: I just wish it was all a really bad april fool's day joke, but alas, woke up this morning, and nothing has changed.... well except for feeling really sick, and bursting into tears when I hug my kids.
Easter long weekend was harsh... only Mic and I knew... why should we share the pain, when we didn't know the full extent of the situation...so we kept busy... did some geocaching, and a lot of the pool surrounds, moving dirt and rock and planting...
Sunday the family day was at our place, Mic was amazed at the awesome acting I was doing, only nearly lost it when they were talking about my sis in law's mum who was being treated for bowel cancer.... and that got me, I had to go do something in another room... we went for a walk to the park with the kids - set a new cache.
Monday more gardening and some caching in the afternoon.
The appointment with the surgeon was Tuesday 9.45am. Parking was a pain, but got there eventually. Mr R went over the situation. He did an ultrasound, then went over the mammogram images. Yes there was a lot of ductal cancer in situ (DCIS) in the right breast - so much so he was not sure it would be just contained within the ducts, it may have spread (do these people really just like to do the whole worst case scenario thing???) There were also some unreported areas of concern in the left breast. The most likely outcome was going to be a mastectomy, but before that I would probably have chemotherapy to try and kill as much of the cancer off before the surgery. I just want it out.... but reading, they say to take your time....
Next step - another more indepth mammogram, with biopsies to be taken, hopefully showing the extent of the cancer throughout the breast... will be a local anesthetic and lying down on a table with my boobs hanging through it.... classy hey. That is next Tuesday.... ughhh have to tell the boss next week... and the kids on Friday - didn't want to ruin their holidays...

No comments:

Post a Comment