Thursday, May 20, 2010

Icky oozy blah

Still think I am looking too healthy to be as sick as I apparently am... my scalp is definitely changing... the short cut is quite comfortable... and looks ok (well scarily I look like Judith Lucy LMAO)... curls hide a ton of sins... hair is still thick and healthy looking, but scalp is itchy and feels very dry... thinking about whipping up an aromatherapy oil mask thingy to soak my head in.

Leaking drain site is ok, after a bit of a panic yesterday with redness and discharge, rush to the surgeon to check, and all is draining nicely, no infection... Love Mic to bits, for his panicking, I guess he is feeling so helpless he wants to makes sure everything goes ok... so when there was the hint of redness around the wound, although I had no temp, he wanted me to get it checked... All the panic was because I have started chemo and the big warnings about being wary about developing any infections. My body must still be in control of itself pretty well, and although the surgeon agreed there were going to be lurgies in the drain site, I have been able to fend them off... go me. :)

Lost more weight... got on the wiifit this morning... did some yoga and stretches, wonder if that is assisting the ooze, freeing everything up anyway. Will have to get onto that more often. Wonder what other exercises have help people????

Taste wise is not too bad today... haven't even had any fruit tingles...but the cordial is going well... although flushing so much water through my system catches up at night...grrrr, at least it was only once last night.
Off to get the kids... I think they are loving that bit, that Mum gets to pick them up most days, pretty early - leaving them in after school care, trying to not disrupt their lives too much, and it means if I am not up to getting them Mic can get them a bit later, so not tied in.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing really well Suz!

    I found that when my hair started falling out it felt really weird.... a little like it does if you've had it tied back in a tight ponytail.... it was quite uncomfortable. Some stick it out, but as soon as that started I just got rid of the lot! Each to their own though, especially with hair which has such an impact on lots of women.

    I've no helpful advice about exercise sorry. I struggled to walk from my front door to my letterbox through most of my chemo. I know they say though, that is you can keep up some sort of exercise it really helps combat fatigue.

    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh yes, that is exactly how it is feeling... like I have had it tied up too tight... hmmmmm guess it won't be long... I have already had half of it chopped... and am curious to see how the next step works... but totally agree I will be cutting off the rest when it starts to happen
    Can't decide if being winter is better (everyone wears hats) or worse... brrrrrr
    I have heard about the exercise thing being good, so I figured while I was dealing ok I would make the most of it... the past week and a bit has been blurry...
    I know as the chemo builds up in my system things will get worse, as hopefully the drugs do their job... guess I will see how my body copes with it all over the next few months...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter or summer... pros and cons to both. I needed a cap to wear in bed at night during winter. I wore a wig a lot, and that wasn't so great when it got to summer. I always admire the women that just go bald..... I never had the guts. Also, my son hated seeing me bald, so I covered up most of the time.

    I think you'll be one of those women that look gorgeous with no hair! Then, because your hair is curly anyway, when it grows back it'll probably be just like it was before you lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suz,

    Glad to see you're handling the chemo well Suz. Yay! Hope you're one of these people who breeze through it.

    I found Pilates was great. It's very low impact so it feels like you're not doing much but you definitely feel it later (in a good way). Similarly to yoga it's great for keeping you calm and balanced.
    I also found walking briskly for even 20 mins a day fantastic.

    Re the hat thing, most people don't even notice I'm a baldy when I wear my hats or beanies. I have been wearing my wig more lately because it's sooo chilly.

    ReplyDelete