Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Axilla clearance

It's done. Feels more like deep muscle pain rather than surgery incision pain. The meds are doing their job. I notice the pain most when I do the creeping up the wall exercises. Looking forward to going home tomorrow and getting on the road to recovery. I know there will be lots of bumps, but I am feeling strong. And I have a brilliant support network.
The steristrips are off the mastectomy wound now. It looks amazingly good. Just have a waterproof pad over the part which was reopened to remove the rest of the lymph nodes. I am still waiting to wake up from this nightmare. Hmmm
It was nice not having the compression pads on my legs after this surgery, however, I have noticed the veins go my left leg popping out a bit. This is my reconstructed knee, the anesthetist from the mastectomy surgery was concerned about that clotting. It may have been because it was a more 'bloody' surgery than the axillary clearance. So keeping them raised. Will go for a walk with the kids later when they come to visit.
I am feeling calm and relaxed, I know I am in good hands, and need to keep my mind positive.
Got some booklets on wigs, chemo and radiotherapy. Can have some fun with the wigs.
For anyone reading this starting this journey (do you like how I am am expert after a month!) Get an iPod touch or he you have am iphone, there are some brilliant apps and Podcasts. I slept so well last night with the iRelax app. I plan to use this in chemo too. The guided meditation podcasts are brilliant for getting in to the right mental level for sleep.
Looking forward to seeing my babies later tonight. Mmmm dinner is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment