Monday, May 6, 2013

Plan of attack

Well I now have a plan of attack.... The onc was confused about the mets showing on the one scan I my hips, as I had a CT scan late last year on chest abdo and pelvis, and it showed no evidence of anything nasty...so he re-checked the bone scans....and agreed there was something there...but he has many patients who live long lives....even to 25 years...with bone mets...we just have to make sure it spreads no further.
He was concerned about the pain... So prescribed some endone, hehehe he had to call up to get authorisation as it's a narcotic....will see how we go with that, as the 6 hourly Panadol Osteo was barely touching the pain...although I had a couple of nurofen plus when I got home and that seems to be doing the trick at the moment. Will take some endone before bed.

Stopping Tamoxifen and starting Femara, which is an aromatase inhibitor;
Aromatase inhibitors are a class of drugs used in the treatment of breast cancer and ovarian cancer in postmenopausal women. AIs may also be used off-label to treat or prevent gynaecomastia in men. Aromatase is the enzyme that synthesizes estrogen. Wikipedia
I didn't think I was post menopausal....ahhh well... I am in a good place in my head at least!

And the Rads Onc will get back to me tomorrow with sorting out when we start radiation to the affected areas. The radiation is to reduce pain...the pain reduction is a big focus.... I guess that is all a part of maintaining quality of life... Which is the main part of staying alive and fighting this shit!

The other part of my treatment is the Denosumab, which is like spakfilla for the bones I guess..
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-treating-denosumab
This will be injected monthly...ahhh fun fun. Monthly trips to Cabrini begin on Thursday this week... I want to get started ASAP.

So that all made sense, it was what I was expecting...then home for the hardest part...telling the kids.
My babies made it easy for me...they are so grown up and mature...they took it in their stride... 
I focused on the fact that I would be getting treatment to help manage my pain, and it is a long term 
thing. 
I think keeping the discussions light, and the communication open is very important. We also mentioned letting school know, and that they may like to talk to a friend or counsellor.
So now I am on the path to kicking this bastard to the kerb...and aim for remission.

No comments:

Post a Comment