Monday, May 27, 2013

Bikram Yoga and Pain Management

October last year I started doing Bikram Yoga, as a new place had opened just around the corner from home...yay...well I really enjoy yoga, and wanted to do a class, but had not done any Bikram (hot yoga) before, I love the heat, but wasn't sure I would enjoy the class, I went along with an open mind, and fairly well hydrated...I thought!
Wow, heavy, intense, amazing feeling....I was in love... It certainly wouldn't suit everyone, but I felt a good fit. Even though I am fairly flexible many of the poses were challenging, in a good way...it meant I wasn't just going along...I was having to really extend myself....I loved it.

So...we skip a few months, I continue with Bikram, once or twice a week, would love to do more...but am so tired when I get home from work, and I am doing zumba and Pilates mid-week...trying to get a run in, and family life...as well as work....love being able to go more frequently during the school holidays...and I am getting compliments on how fit and healthy I am looking....
I feel my balance is improving - I had a fall and rolled my ankle and strained my reconstructed knee, which is still annoying me, but the bone scan was ok, so it's just osteo arthritis, and ligament damage.
Told my onc the exercise I was doing, and he was happy that I continue with it.
When I started the radiation this time, I was told it wouldn't burn me as much as the last lot did, as that was targeted closer to the skin, so as long as there were no immediate skin issues Bikram should be fine.
What I have noticed is I don't NEED to take pain relief medication when I have done a Bikram session. So if I do a morning session, I may only need to take an endone before bed...I was able to get to two sessions during my treatment so far, and on both occasions I felt great afterwards. The weekend I wasn't able to make it I struggled with pain. And it's the same during the week when I can't make it.

I double checked with my rads onc this morning, and she was happy with how I was managing, I don't do all of the postures, there are some that put too much strain on my arm and hips, but others that work into those areas to provide relief.... Yesterday's session was a challenge with the diarrhoea hovering around, and minor period pain like issues... But I had a few extra rest sessions during the class, and was on top of things when I left. Today I have a headache hanging around, could be dehydration...more water needed stat! Of course more sinister things now hang around in the back of my mind....


Of course Bikram yoga is not for everyone, I have tried to find medical articles...but nothing out there is substantial one way or the other. As long as it feels good, has good effect in managing my pain I will continue... My awesome Bikram studio has given me a complimentary pass, so I can go as needed, which is really fantastic, as cost cutting would have seen this go first!


So hoping to keep going, and repair some of my injured body, revitalise and recharge. Have given up on the rosé hip vital, still going with the glucosamine....must get back to the physio about my knee....
One more radiation treatment tomorrow, then back to work....
Counting down to holidays! The rads should have their effect by then...woot...and more time for Bikram 



No comments:

Post a Comment