Thursday, July 9, 2015

The double edged sword!

When I had chemo in 2010, I put on so much weight, with the dexmethasone and chemo and feeling sad and sorry for myself...I also had swelling of my hands, and could no longer wear my wedding ring... Which was upsetting, but other things were going on... And so for the next 5 years my hands were without rings. Every now and then I would try it on, usually when going somewhere special and glamming up for the night... But to no avail, not even able to get it over my knuckles. Then if I did, it was mighty uncomfortable.
Since last October I have been making a concerted effort to lose weight through exercise and portion control. I have now lost around 15kilos since my heaviest of 110kgs. (I may well have gotten heavier, but I was too sad to look). I got a garmin Vivofit for my birthday, and it was on and happening. I was walking lots and feeling healthy!
Then in April the weight was dropping off, and I got the news of the liver met making itself at home... Was the weightloss from my efforts or a side product of liver mets? Still the weight is falling... Hubby decides to enjoy a bit of chocolate each evening... and knowing that is my weakness I am not able to say no. So I wonder if the weightloss will stop... After all since having children I only have to look at chocolate to put back on anything I managed to lose...hmmmmm double edged sword.
So, now heading into the end of the third week of this lurgy, which has stopped me from doing much of anything, I felt sure the weightloss will stop... Specially with the extra evening chocolate treats!!
But the scales are disagreeing, and in fact for the first time in about 10 years or more the numbers are 90.5kg. No sure what is contributing...and I feel it could be a bit of everything... IUD out, metabolism back on track, portion control, liver mets, Xeloda side effects. On the positive side my nails are getting long and strong, they have been a bit of an indicator as to my inside health, tending to flake and break whenever things are going badly inside... 
So today, still a bleagh day lurgy wise... Looking at my chest of drawers, I thought I would try on my wedding ring... And voila, it fitted, I have been wearing it all day, and I don't even notice it... Yay.



No comments:

Post a Comment